How do I start a life coaching business without any coach training? Is it even possible? Many will probably say no, a few may say yes. But I would say it is possible. Let us find out how.
Can I Start a Life Coaching Business Without Any Training?
The short answer is Yes! The long answer is; it is possible to be a life coach and own a coaching business because the coaching field is unregulated; there are no federal or state requirements to be credentialed or trained as a life coach. However, if you want to set yourself apart in the industry, remain relevant and equipped with the proper coaching skills, coach training, and possibly becoming certified may help you achieve that. Something to think about down the road.
(NOTE: If you’ve been waiting to start your coaching business, or were wondering if you can do it profitably, then you need to watch this video. In the video, I’ll explain how to How to Build a Profitable Coaching Business in 30 Days. Click HERE now to watch the video.)
The truth is anyone with interpersonal relations skills and the ability to help others can call themselves a life coach because of the current regulation of coaching practices. There are several individuals out there without any coach training or certification who identify as life coaches, career coaches, and so on. Some of these individuals have prior work experiences or educational backgrounds in psychology, business, human resources, excelling in their life coaching businesses. You can do the same too.
How do I Start a Life Coaching Business?
How do I start a life coaching business without any training? Well, as mentioned in the previous paragraph, you do not necessarily need to be trained as a life coach to practice as one. Still, you do, however, need to take some basic steps to get started as a business owner.
Check out the tips below to get you going.
- Identify Your Target Clients – Decide who your clients are going to be as a life coach. Will it be single mothers, military families, faith-based community members, etc.
- Appropriate Skills & Knowledge – Although coach training and certification are not required, you should at least have some previous experience, skills, and background in the area you want to coach in. For example, if your prospective clients were military families, you may have either been in the service yourself, have family members, or have worked with military families in the past.
- Set up your business – Decide your business structure, create a business name and get a business license required by your city or county. If you need help determining which legal/business structure to use to register your business, consult a Tax Accountant or Lawyer.
- Business Insurance – Most coaches purchase liability insurance. (You can consult an insurance agent for help in deciding which one you need for a marriage coaching business).
- Set up Your Workspace – Fostering the ideal work environment to meet with your clients is crucial to your business’s success. For your phone and video conferencing coaching sessions in your workspace, you will require a comfortable space, free of distractions.
- Build a website – Prospective clients need a place to learn about your coaching business, and there’s no better place to sell your coaching and related materials than on a website. To create a business website using free platforms like Wax, GoDaddy.com, Yola.
- Create a marketing plan -I always believe the most effective way to engage coaching clients is to go where your prospective clients and audience frequently go, primarily online. For example, if your prospective clients are single parents, check out Facebook groups where single parents hang out and other online communities. Find out where your prospective clients hang out, be it offline or online, and go there.
How do I start a life coaching business without any coach training? Although coach training is strongly recommended within the coaching field, it is not difficult to start a life coaching business. You may decide down the road to take some coaching courses, which will be an added plus. Until then, nothing stops you from getting started with what you have with the help of the tips mentioned above.
If you’d like to learn how you can get started in Wellness Coaching quickly, check out this FREE step-by-step “Life Coaching Business Blueprint” video toolkit. Just go HERE now to get your life coaching business blueprint videos.
Margaret K. Olubiyi
Writer, Coaches Training Blog community