Presence Based Coaching: Cultivating Self-Generative Leaders Through Mind, Body, and Heart! What can you and I learn from this book that was written over ten years ago?
About The Author, Doug Silsbee
Before we delve into valuable insights this book offers, let us find out more about the author. Doug Silsbee was a sought-after speaker for the ICF and other global conferences. He taught at the UCLA Executive Education, Georgetown University’s Institute for Transformational Leadership, George Mason University, and the Federal Executive Institute. Silsbee authored three books which included Presence-Based coaching: cultivating self-generative leaders through mind, body, and heart, which was published in November 2008, the Mindful Coach and Presence-Based Leadership. Silsbee was an award-winning thought leader and executive coach in the fields of Presence-Based coaching, leadership development, and resilience. Two of his books, The Mindful Coach and Presence-Based Coaching, are the basis for a leading-edge coach certification program accredited by the International Coach Federation (ICF). He died in 2018 from cancer.
Eight Things to Learn from Presence Based Coaching
What is Presence Based Coaching? According to ICF Associate Certified Coach Beth Zabiegalski, it is an introspective exploration process that does three things. She states 1). “connects the client to how they’re feeling at any given moment; 2) allows the client to grow in their ability to observe and respond effectively to those feelings, as well as external pressures; and 3) utilizes the clients’ feelings, motivations, and unlocked strengths to move them toward the desired outcome.”
Whether you are a brand new or seasoned coach, there is always something to learn from others that can empower and help enhance your coaching skills. The author of Presence-Based Coaching has offered valuable information to guide coaching professionals and leaders in becoming the best coach they can be to their clients. Let us look at some of them that many have found practical and effective.
The Presence Based Coaching book:
- Reveals that presence is the underlying state one accesses through mindfulness that allows us to be the best people we can be.
- Is a hands-on resource for developing the skills needed to be fully present with your clients. It reveals how to let go of habitual and often ineffective ways of responding to different situations.
- Explains how “presence” is an essential quality for every leader and coaching expert in the coach-client relationship. The author places much emphasis on cultivating this quality/trait.
- Helps establish authenticity in the coaching process and relationship. The coach moves to a state like unconscious competence in learning and coaching.
- Helps clients to dig deeper within themselves (being in touch with their emotions and senses) to find the solutions to the challenges they face.
- Helps you to guide clients into achieving realistic goals and sustainable results.
- Shows how the awareness of presence enhances personal and professional growth.
- Provides practical activities to guide continuous personal and professional growth.
The Presence Based Coaching book by Doug Silsbee is practical, empowering and more relevant today than it was a decade ago. It is a resource that comes highly recommended. I hope you get your copy today.
Would you like an endless stream of new coaching clients? Simply click the image to the right and email and I’ll send you free videos with step-by-step blueprints for generating a massive income from high paying coaching clients.
Margaret K. Olubiyi
Writer, Coaches Training Blog community