Some experts say that what you need to be a coach is a telephone, computer, and internet access. While that is a fine start, if you really want to be a coach you will need a few extras that most people forget. These essentials are the difference between success and failure.
What You Need To Be A Coach Who Has A Successful Business
1. Be clear with your own business goals. A lot of people think coaching is a fun way to make money and an opportunity to create an extraordinary lifestyle. But few are clear about what they really want for themselves and why.
2. Surround yourself with a team of the best people available. Like any other business, you want to leverage your resources. One of my mentors says one of the most valuable resources is human resources. When choosing a team remember that old cliché, “I would rather have an A team with a B plan than a B team with an A plan.”
3. Find a mentor. What you need to be a coach is not a foolproof plan. Even with a great plan, things are going to go wrong. It’s going to be harder, take longer and cost more money than you think. You need to have access to strategies to survive the tough times from someone who has gone before you.
4. Recognize your weaknesses. Don’t ignore them or pretend they don’t exist. A lose spoke on Lance Armstrong’s bicycle is going to slow him down. Find ways to address your weaknesses.
The Most Important Thing You Need To Be A Coach
5. Commit to the business. What you need most to be a coach is commitment. You won’t accomplish anything significant without fully committing to yourself and to the clients you serve.
JTS Advisors Designated Accountability Coach