What does it take to be a life coach? Well, it’s both easy and difficult. It’s both quick and painless and lengthy and filled with hard work.
Getting Started as a Life Coach
Because there are no legal requirements to become a life coach, the minimal required is just to call yourself a life coach. Hang out a shingle, print a business card, or just call yourself a life coach…and you are a life coach!
Okay…all joking aside, what does it take to be a life coach, really?
Though you can just call yourself a life coach, there are two important steps you should take before you hang out that shingle. The first one is to get your own life in shape. You don’t have to have an ideal lifestyle or have it all together because getting your own life in shape is an ongoing process, but you do need to walk the talk and be a role model, warts and all, for your clients.
Second, you need to take an accredited life coaching program. Make sure it is comprehensive and is accredited. Coaching had become a competitive industry and you want legitimate training.
What Does It Take to be a Life Coach?
Here are a few of the crucial attributes an individual should posses before pursuing a life coaching career.
- A desire to help others
- A high level of self-awareness
- High levels of empathy
- A desire for personal growth
- Excellent communication (including listening) skills
- Personal ethics and a high level of honesty
- Emotional intelligence
Becoming a Successful Life Coach
Now that you know the basics, here are a few more in-depth suggestions that will answer the question: What does it take to be a life coaching success?
- Continuing education. Your training never stops – you should continually pursue more knowledge, additional skills, and a high level of learning.
- Hire a life coach. In the early days of your career, or even before you start your career, it is beneficial to hire a life coach and see how things work. Call it operational research or spying on the competition – it isn’t for some adversarial or nefarious purposes; it’s merely to gain more information about the life coaching process.
- Go online. We live in a digital age and more things are moving online every day. You can certainly be a good life coach without even know anything about the Internet. However, to capture more success, moving online with expose your services to a wider audience and create additional streams of potential income.
Now you know some of the most important answers to the question: What does it take to be a life coach? But, there is one more thing to consider; something that isn’t always mentioned.
Are You an Entrepreneur?
What does it take to be a life coach? Well, if you are going to be starting your own practice – you need to have some entrepreneurial skills. After all, you are running a business!
Many new coaches overlook this skill, and eventually fail as a coach. Not because they are a bad coach, but because they don’t know how to market, promote, and operate a business!
Don’t overlook entrepreneurial skills as an important component of becoming a successful life coach!
Special Bonus – Learn 32 ‘Guru’ Transformation Techniques when you click on the image at the top right. You’ll learn how to become a life coach in 30 days.
Writing Team, Coaches Training Blog Community