Have you always wondered how to start a marriage coaching business? Well, let us take a look at seven easy steps to get you going.
Marriage is often a pleasant, enjoyable, and joyful experience, especially when you have married the ideal life partner. At the same time, it can be quite challenging and devastating in a lot of cases hence the high divorce rate and the numerous therapy sessions with a marriage counselor. One thing I know for sure having been married for 16 years is that marriage takes a lot of work. You have to be ready to put in the effort if you desire to have a successful and happy marriage.
Individuals who are struggling to move forward in their relationships don’t have to do it alone. The marriage coach works alongside couples to explore the proper tools and skills needed to achieve the desired outcome.
Marriage Coaching vs. Marriage Counseling
1. Marriage coaching is a subset of Relationship coaching, which is a life coaching specialization. It is a coaching niche that focuses primarily on the present and future.
Marriage counseling, on the other hand, focuses on past behaviors to help understand the present situation. Marriage counselors or therapists are trained to diagnose and prescribe a treatment plan for the problem.
2. Marriage coaches do not require an advanced degree to practice. Since coaching is currently an unregulated field, certification and training are not required but highly recommended. Most coaches do possess certifications, engage in ongoing training, have degrees in other areas, and may or may not have advanced degrees in counseling or psychology.
Marriage counselors typically possess graduate and postgraduate degrees in the field of social work, psychology, counseling, etc. They are required to be licensed in their home state to be able to diagnose and treat various mental health disorders as well as addictions.
If during the course of the coaching session, you observe that the client is still struggling with some mental health issues or other issues beyond the scope of your practice, then the client must be referred to a licensed mental health provider or psychologist.
3. Marriage coaches allow flexibility in their interaction with clients. They can meet with their clients formally in an office setting, at a library, coffee shop, etc. They can also have their sessions over the phone and online. The meeting schedule can be both formal and informal.
Marriage counselors, due to the restriction of their state license, typically meet with clients in a formal setting, and they maintain a traditional meeting schedule for their sessions.
Simple Steps on How to Start a Marriage Coaching Business
Let’s take a look at how to start a marriage coaching business using the following easy steps.
1. Business Plan – Draw up a business plan which should include what you hope to accomplish, your overhead costs and ongoing expenses, potential revenue, etc.
2. Business Name – When selecting a name for your business, you want to be creative. Your name defines who you are and what you represent.
3. Business Registration – If you need help determining which legal/business structure to use to register your business, consult a business coach or tax accountant. Also, you will need to open a business bank account.
4. Business License – Get the required license or permit to operate in your city or town.
5. Business Insurance – Most coaches purchase liability insurance. (you can consult an insurance agent for help in deciding which one you need for a marriage coaching business).
6. Coach Training – Strongly recommended! Check out coaching credentialing agencies like CCE, ICF for credentialing training providers.
7. Promote and Market Your Business – How to start a marriage coaching business also has a lot to do with how you promote your business. In addition to paid advertising, there are platforms where you can also promote your business for free. Check out the following:
- Social Media: Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, etc. Both free and paid advertising is available
- Online directories such as Google My Business, Yelp, Merchant Circle.
- The Local Chamber of Commerce
- Thumbtack – Initial listing is free
- Creating a business website using free platforms like Wix, Yola.
- Face to face interactions with members of your community (i.e., join groups, community events, your library, coffee shop, community college, etc.). Share your business cards or flyers at these meetings.
Marriage coaching focuses on equipping the couple with valuable tools to propel them towards achieving a healthy and satisfying long-lasting union. And so, if you have a passion for seeing couples accomplish that, then starting a marriage coaching business is the right business for you.
By the way… you’re invited to claim your FREE step-by-step “Life Coach Salary Secrets” video toolkit. Just go HERE now to get your Life Coach Salary Secrets.
“Margaret K. Olubiyi
Writer, Coaches Training Blog community”