Have you ever wanted to be a master certified coach but are unsure of how you will get there? But first, let’s have a brief look at what it is all about.
A Master Certified Coach credential is basically the highest credential offered by the International Coach Federation after the Associate Certified Coach or Professional Certified Coach level of coaching.
Connie Whittaker Dunlop, Executive Director at The University of Virginia Darden School of Business writes on what it takes to be a master certified coach in a Forbes article:
“First, you must have 2,500 hours of direct coaching experience and 2,250 of those hours must be paid. Second, you must attend 200 hours of coach-specific training. Third, you must engage in 10 hours of mentor coaching. Fourth, your performance in taped coaching conversations must be evaluated. Fifth, you must pass the Coach Knowledge Assessment if you have not previously passed it.”
How to Become a Successful Master Certified Coach
Getting there may seem out of reach but if you follow these five steps, you will be able to master coaching at the highest level in no time.
1. You need to have a strong desire. Not like a little flame, you have to stir to get some heat going, but a strong desire. You must really want to be a master certified coach! If you have always wanted to achieve the path of expertise, but you didn’t get it until now, it is your desire was not strong enough! You must really feel that in your bones, in your flesh, in your heart. The desire is just the starting point because without passion nothing can happen.
2. Practice, practice, practice. Without actually practicing, your desire will get you nowhere. Will it take you 10 years or 10,000 hours of experience to be a coaching expert? GO ALL the way to get to the master certified coach level. The more you practice, the more likely you will get exactly what you long for! Along with your desire and goals, you will be able to generate the necessary activity to bring you towards the realization of your dream.
3. Believe in yourself. You must really be conscious of the fact that you are worth to become one of the highly successful master certified coaches and have got everything you need to realize your dream. Maybe you do not know at this point in time how to get there but believe in the fact that you will learn step by step how to do it and that you will be guided along the way by mentors and serendipitous encounters.
4. Think positively! The most beautiful dream, the strongest desire, and constant action will bring you nowhere if you embrace a negative belief system. If you have a habit of seeing everything rather black than white, of fearing the worst, of expecting bad things to happen, this mindset will bring you what you ask for: black, fear, bad. A positive mindset lifts you up to the level of universal creation and allows the universe to conspire with you to help you achieve what you long for.
5. Consistency. As easy as it is to start things, it is also easy to quit. But it takes consistency to stay on your path toward achieving your dream. Ultimately, you will be able to taste the freedom which lies in the fact that, after years and years of practicing the same thing, you became an expert in something.
And having achieved the highest level of coaching, you will be able to answer any question on the subject with ease and produce almost any result you want. You are a master certified coach now because you did the same thing hundreds of times and mastered it over time.
Consistency, not giving up, and always going on in the same direction will bring you freedom at last. Why? Because you don’t need to think and search anymore on your subject. It became a habit and you have some space in your mind now to learn other new things.
Stay on your road, go on and every step will take you to more freedom, happiness, and mastery of your life!
Writer, Coaches Training Blog community