An online coaching questionnaire is one of the best ways to get information from clients before you begin the coaching sessions. The magic in a coach questionnaire is in the questions you ask and in the way you follow up to those questions. Without the right follow up, the questions won’t be potent or powerful.
Why Create a Coaching Questionnaire?
A comprehensive questionnaire will give you insights into what the client is seeking, and perhaps what is holding them back from reaching their goals (the reason they are paying you). It’s often better, especially at the beginning of a coach/client relationship because it gives you time to thoroughly read and evaluate the answers. It also gives you time to prepare the right responses. Some coaching should be spontaneous, but some good coaching is prepared.
Why Use an Online Coaching Questionnaire?
The answer to this question is obvious – because almost everything is online now! Having an online coaching questionnaire allows the client time to think about their answers. They can complete it in the comfort of their own home without time pressure. Then, when you are in session together, you can use it to supplement what is going on during the sessions.
Make Your Questionnaire Have Some Meat
These are merely sample questions to help guide you in creating your own questionnaire. Make sure to develop your questions based on your specialty. The questions should also be created to increase your knowledge of the potential client, but also to help raise your client’s awareness of what they are truly seeking. Finally, don’t just create this questionnaire as an empty exercise – use it as a starting point, take the answers and do more probing, and use it, not only for the first session, but for other sessions in the future. Your online coaching questionnaire should have some meat – ask some powerful questions!
Sample Online Coaching Questionnaire Questions
- What are the 3 biggest changes you want to make in your life?
- What are the 3 biggest goals you want to achieve in the next 3 months?
- What are the 3 biggest goals you want to achieve in the next year?
- What are the 3 biggest long-term goals you want to achieve?
- What major changes have you dealt with in the past 3 years?
- What challenges have you faced in the past 3 years?
- What accomplishments and successes have you achieved?
- If you could be anything, what would it be?
- If you could wish for anything, what would you wish for?
- What is most important to you in your life right now?
- Where do you want to be in 3 years?
- Name 3 things you want out of your coaching sessions.
- Name 3 things you expect out of your coaching sessions.
- In what ways do you think you learn the best?
- On a scale of 1-10, how happy are you with your life?
- On a scale of 1-10, how close to your goals are you?
- On a scale of 1-10, how much stress do you feel?
- On a scale of 1-10, how motivated are you to achieve your goals?
These are just a few samples of questions that can be included on your online coaching questionnaire. You can probably create thousands more based on this small sample, but don’t make it to long or your client will probably start to feel like it’s far too much homework.
A good online coaching questionnaire should be powerful yet filled with simple questions, comprehensive yet concise, and probing yet comfortable. A good coaching questionnaire will lead to great coaching sessions!
Writing Team, Coaches Training Blog Community