What is an ultimate team fitness coach? If you’re thinking about ultimate Frisbee, that’s not what we’re talking about. If you’re thinking about Ultimate Team soccer, by EA Sports, this isn’t the place for you. However, if you are talking about learning to become the ultimate team fitness coach for any type of team or group of people, you are at the right place.
What is Ultimate?
Looking at the dictionary, we have two definitions that apply here:
1. Being or happening at the end of a process: final.
2. The best achievable or imaginable of its kind.
When you decide to become a coach, both of these definitions apply.
Coaching is a Process
You move from a beginning to an end with a client – from problem to outcome, from issue to solution. Along the way, you identify and clarify goals, you describe and find ways to overcome obstacles, and you create and develop a strategic plan to achieve the stated goals.
Do You Want to be the Ultimate Coach?
If you want to be the best, you have to work harder than the others, learn from the best, be voracious in your pursuit of education and new knowledge, and continually strive to be at the top of your game.
Becoming the Ultimate Team Fitness Coach
There are plenty of opportunities when becoming a team fitness coach. You can work in the sports field or with corporations. You can work for yourself, a corporation, or with a sports organization. You can work for a sports team, a fitness organization, on in the corporate field helping employees stay healthy.
But, you don’t start out at the top, you don’t get respect immediately, and you certainly don’t get rich quickly. You start at the beginning, which some people think of as the bottom. But, if you think of it as merely the beginning of a wonderful journey, then you are on your way to success.
How to Become the Ultimate Team Fitness Coach
Remember that coaching is a process. Well, so is becoming a successful coach. Here are the steps you can take to become the ultimate team fitness coach.
- Get trained. Education matters. You need to have the knowledge base – about the body, the principles of coaching, and the basics of diagnosis and rehabilitation. This comes from courses on fitness, your own workouts, seminars, reading, and an accredited coaching program. It is also important to remember that education is a life-long process – it never ends.
- Get certified. This often comes with a coaching program. But, if there are other certifications available – through testing, other coaching programs, or other forms of education, you should consider them important to your career. You don’t have to be certified to be a coach, but in a field that is getting more competitive every day, they help you land the job or the client. You will find it hard to find success in as an ultimate team fitness coaching expert without the paperwork!
- Network with your peers. Whether you are still looking for your first client or have an established coaching practice, networking is one of the keys to sustained success. Networking is one of the most important forms of marketing…and definitely the most fun.
- Even before you start taking a coaching program, you can find ways to get a foot in the door in the fitness industry. Apply for a job at a local health club, intern with a sports team, or just start making contacts with people in the fitness industry who may be able to help you in the future. If you know that being a team fitness coach is your goal, begin making those important contacts early.
If you can take the four steps and fully integrate them into your life, you will be well on your way to becoming the ultimate team fitness coach.
Special Bonus – Learn 3 simple ways to become a life coach with the “30-Days to Become a Coach” video toolkit when you fill in the form at the top right and click the “Watch The Videos Now” button. You’ll learn how to change your client’s life in 45 minutes.
Writing Team, Coaches Training Blog Community