Career coaching skills for supervisors are important because one of the most important yet misunderstood tasks for supervisors is to be able to coach their employees. They should be able to coach them about leadership, teamwork, and other aspects of the work environment. But, even if supervisors are cognizant of the benefits of coaching, they don’t usually think about the careers of their employees.
What are Career Coaching Skills?
The skills needed for a career coach are varied and many. They include:
- Active listening – the ability to hear the words, tone, context; the ability to understand body language; and the capacity for generating and accepting feedback.
- Flexibility and adaptability – the capacity for change and for understanding the need for change.
- Having the knowledge and tools that educate and train employees to better themselves and the company.
- The ability to be supportive and encouraging – to help the employee reach goals both personal and for the company.
- The ability to set performance standards and measures – know how to set successful levels of performance, and then have the tools to measure those levels.
- Be creative yet resilient, confident yer realistic, analytical yet empowering, and strong bu empathetic.
Career coaching skills for supervisors are very similar to the skills needed by any coach. Possessing these skills provides supervisors with the tools they need to interact positively with employees, and to inspire and motivate them to achieve great things.
What are the Benefits of Career Coaching Skills for Supervisors?
The benefits of career coaching skills for supervisors are many, and important to the success and prosperity of a company. These benefits include:
- Helps employees understand what they should be doing and why.
- Helps employees understand how they should be doing what they should be doing.
- Helps employees identify goals and find ways to achieve those goals.
- Helps employees learn, develop, and enhance new skills which allows them to move up in a company.
- Creates greater job satisfaction for all employees and creates a healthier, more profitable work environment.
Career Coaches – Supervisors Can be Your Clients
We have just looked at the benefits of career coaching skills for supervisors. But, do you think most supervisors possess these skills? Probably not.
This is where career coaches can expand their target market. If supervisors need coaching skills, and career coaches know all about the skills need to be a career coach, then they can help supervisors learn these skills. A new target market, and more potential paying clients!
You already have the one general career coaching skill for supervisors that is the most important – the ability to coach! If you can help supervisors become better coaches, they will become better supervisors. If they possess some coaching and career coaching tools, they can help encourage, motivate, and inspire their employees. Isn’t this what all supervisors should want?
So, career coaches – don’t just think your target market are individuals entering the job market or people who want to change their careers. You can now add supervisors to the list of people who can benefit from your services.
Writing Team, Coaches Training Blog Community