Here’s the question: “What do I need to start a life coaching career?” Here’s the answer: “You need more than you think!”
Life coaching is hot right now. People all across the country are seeking knowledge and guidance in their pursuit of the American Dream. When there is demand, a supply of products or services will soon follow. That is what has happened to the life coaching industry. People want life coaching, and there are thousands of people jumping in to offer these life coaching services. But, are these people prepared for the job?
There is an easy answer for the question: “What do I need to start a life coaching business?” If you have a few hundred bucks in your pocket or available on your credit card, a free weekend to attend a seminar, and are willing to spend your time and part with your money, then you can be a life coach.
There is no easy answer to the question: “What do I need to start a life coaching career?” A career implies you will be doing it for a long time. A career implies you will obtain and retain clients for many years. A career implies some measure of success.
So, if you are asking yourself – “What do I need to start a life coach career” – here are some of the traits needed to be a success as a life coach:
What do I Need to Start a Life Coaching Career – 6 Traits
1. Visualization. As a coach, and as a person, you see where you want to go and you visualize ways to get there. You must use this talent for visualization with your clients, as you are helping them see their dreams and envisioning ways to get there.
2. Action. A life coach is a man or woman of action. You cannot be a procrastinator or a denier, and survive as a life coach. When action is required, it should happen now. When a decision needs to be made, make it! A career life coach has successfully eliminated the following words or phrases from their vocabulary:
- Not Now
- In a little while
3. Flexibility. No, this has nothing to do with your ability to do yoga poses. It has to do with your ability to deal with frustration, setbacks, roadblocks, and defeats. Can you resolve conflict, deal with obstacles to success, and manage frustration? A flexible mind and attitude with be more skilled at problem-solving.
4. Discipline. Success is a product of many things, but one of the most important is discipline. You must be disciplined in your daily habits, you must stay focused on tasks at hand, and you must stay the course when reaching for your goals. Without discipline, you get nowhere, and you get there fast!
5. Decision-Making Ability. The question: What do I need to start a life coaching career?”, comes with decisions. You have to make many decisions to get your career rolling, and you will need to be a decision-maker throughout your career. Grow a pair – step up to the plate – take a stand – have the guts to make a decision and the strength of mind to make the right ones more often than the wrong ones.
6. Patience. If are aren’t a patient person, don’t even bother asking the question, “What do I need to start a life coaching career?” Patience is required in every aspect of your business, the administrative, the promotional, and especially with the clients. Patience is a definitely a virtue, and it is absolutely essential for any life coach!
Writing Team, Coaches Training Blog Community